return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Molecular clocks - Are they relieable?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Taxonomy Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Wulf at Thu Nov 9 02:39:04 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Wulf ]  

The reliability of molecular clocks in reptile phylogenies?

Hi folks,

I read about molecular clocks and the Neutralist Theory and, the more I read, the more I’m getting curious about how reliable these models are when applied to reptile phylogeny to determine the evolutionary age of lineages (at least when using mtDNA for phylogenies).

I understand that the basic principal on which the molecular clock theory is based is the constant rate of neutral mutations (those that do not affect the phenotyp) in genes. Furthermore, rate of neutral mutation is also independent from population size (sensu Kimura), whereas in advantageous mutations population size has to be considered as well…

Well, today we know that there is nothing like a “universal molecular clock”. Slopes and upswings in mutation rates must be calculated for every lineage and a priori assumptions have to be made to “set” the clock.
I recall some papers on reptile phylogeny worked with the pseudo-standard rate of 2% MYA for mtDNA (e.g. Keogh et al., 2001), although the authors mentioned that more recent studies revealed slower or faster clocks (=levels of gene divergence) (e.g. Zamudio & Greene (1997) for allopatric populations of Lachechis (0.47 – 1.32% /My) or more recently Wüster et al. (2002) with 1.09 – 1.77% for the cyt b of the crotaline genus Porthidium. The latter rates were also used by Malotra and Thorpe (2004) for Trimeresurus.). So, at the end, how relieable is the usage of the 2% rate in Keogh et al. (2001). I recall a paper (ARBOGAST, B. S. and J. B. SLOWINSKI 1998) taking apart a priviously published paper from Klicka and Zink due to errornous assumptions and for not providing measures of errors...

What about all these side-effects that may have more or less impact on the rate of mutation in genes such as the negative body size correlation and some life-history traits (temperature), gene repair capabilities, selective pressure, advantageous mutations rather than neutral mutations and implied within population size, evolving geographic barriers and diseases that may kill most of a population, other traits of population dynamics, high UV-radiation causing more mutations, and others). How do we handle these? There are lots of stochastic models around but, who decides which of these side-effects (if any) may have taken place?

Cheers,
Wulf
-----
http://www.leiopython.de - the white-lipped python site -
http://www.herpers-digest.com - herp related eBooks search -

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Molecular clocks - Are they relieabl - aspidoscelis, Sat Nov 11 14:11:36 2006
>> Next Message:  RE: Molecular clocks - Are they relieabl - CKing, Sat Jan 13 19:11:15 2007