return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: What have I gotten myself into?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Water Dragons & Basilisks ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: j3nnay at Sat Nov 18 18:08:20 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by j3nnay ]  

I'm pretty sure the vet cleaned them out along with the antibiotics treatment. The sores are still pink and pretty clean for animals that eat bugs, so I'm hoping as long as I keep the cage clean they won't need to see a vet again.

I am a humongous fan of gutloading crickets - the crickets slated for dinner tomorrow are currently eating what is probably the best meal of their little lives. I also gave the dragons a pinkie apiece today. The male ate his entirely, but my girl just ate half of hers, eugh. I'm just dusting the crickets, and since the weather is so great they're going to be getting direct sun time on a pretty regular basis.

They are chowing down on their salad, so I'm guessing I made it tasty. The general recipe seems to be the same for most reptiles, which the specifics depending on species. These guys are nice and simple it seems, iguanas and tortoises have salad requirements worse than an atkins diet!

A vision cage is essentially molded plastic with a grate in the back (on mine) for heat and spectrum lights, and sliding glass doors on front. Awesome for keeping humidity constant
I decided on paper towels for now so I get an idea of what their droppings are like and to make sure that there are droppings, and it's easy to clean on a close to daily basis. My bedroom might be a mess most of the time but heaven forbid my animals live in the same state, lol.

What is your idea of the correct temperatures? Right now I've got it 90 under the basking light, 80 on the cool end and at night it drops to 80, 85 under the heat light (red bulb) and 70, 75 in the rest of the tank. Sound about right? I've gotten a lot of mixed information on this, for some reason!

Already they're actually pretty tame. I'm pleasantly surprised; what I'd heard from the woman who'd had them before made me think they didn't put up with handling too well, but at the moment both are currently chilling on my knees. Maybe they know I'm a sucker.

It's only been a couple days and I already think they're pretty awesome. Thank you for the information, it's extremely helpful!

~jenny
-----
1.2 normal ball pythons (Cindy, Darwin, and Periscope)
0.0.1 california kingsnake (Tetris)
1.0 rex rat (Scurvy)
1.0 gerbil (Yerbul)
0.1 bunny (Spazz)
1.1 betta fishes (Vicious and Killer)
2.2 great danes (Shasta, Odysseus, Merlot, and Watson)
1.0 fat fuzzy mutt (Smokey)
1.1 cats (Thidwick and Turtle)
2.0 horses (Buddy and Sam)
1.0 goat (Billy Jack)
1.25 chickens (Ugly the rooster and his harem)

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: What have I gotten myself into? - kinyonga, Sat Nov 18 21:09:42 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: What have I gotten myself into? - kinyonga, Fri Nov 17 16:12:22 2006