return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

tail length

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Alligator Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Aaron at Thu Nov 23 12:07:55 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Aaron ]  

I have never heard of sexual dimorphism based on tail length but now I am wondering if you're friend might be correct.
Earlier this year in May I went to Arizona to collect L. pyromelana and my friend asked me if I would bring him back a couple E. kingii if I found any. I found some kingii for him and I brought them back. My friend lives several hours away from me and could not pick them up right away. I had a naturalistic terrarium set up for a local skink I use as a scenting lizard so I just put the kingii in there. I had them for about 2 months then he came a got them. Well several weeks later four baby kingii suddenly appeared in the cage!
I removed the skink and I am keeping these babies and they are doing great! One thing I have noticed is that two of them are larger and also have proportionally longer tail. They all have original unbroken tails. I am not about to handle them to get accurate measurements because they are so small and delicate but the two smaller ones have tails about 1.5 times their body length and the two larger ones have tails about 2.25 times body length.
Kingii don't seem to be commonly bred in captivity and so many wild specimens have broken tails I think this may be a trait that has gone overlooked.
Couple other things I will mention. Raising these all in one cage from hatching I have never seen any aggresion. They all love to perch on some leafy branches I have in there too. The two larger ones dominate the top braches and often hang out right next to each other while the smaller ones usually stay lower in the braches or else are on the ground. Feeding time I dump in about 40 small crickets and they all go crazy and they are all getting plenty of food as I watch them eat. I also put food in the cage for the crickets to keep any the lizards miss from trying to feed on the lizards. I keep them at room temperature but occasionally I put the whole screen topped cage outside half in shade half in the sun. There is a thermometer in the cage too and I check it every few minutes when it's in the sun so they don't overheat and I move the cage so it stays partially in the shade at all times.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: tail length - saboteur, Sat Nov 25 22:10:10 2006 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: tail length - FunkyRes, Sun Nov 26 17:32:10 2006

<< Previous Message:  Al from Mexico - saboteur, Fri Nov 17 08:34:42 2006 image in post