return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Nobody answered my question?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pacman,Horn,Budgett Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CanadianFrog at Thu Nov 23 02:05:53 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CanadianFrog ]  

Ah yes. Phylum Nematoda - the roundworms. Many nematodes infect humans, including Acaris lumbicoides, Trichinella spiralis (which causes trichinosis), hookworms, and pinworms. Some nematodes even infect plants! In fact hookworms are the most common parastie affecting humans. These are endemic in about 1/3 of the population of North America. The females crawl out of the human anus at night to lay their eggs and then crawl back in or die. This can cause an itchy feeling at the anus. I know more about Nematodes, Trematodes, Cestodes and Nematomorphs than I do frogs, I bet I could give your vet a run for his money.

I know that earthworms carry nematode eggs specifically, I just called these parasites (cuz they are) in my first post. I have cut the "genitals" out of many worms and viewed them under the microscope to look at the eggs. This is exactly what I was talking about when I said that you don't want these worms. First off, knowing that your pets are infested with internal worms is straight up nasty. Second, you run the risk of infecting youself (although if you don't think they are nasty in your pets, maybe you won't think they are nasty inside of you).

These nematodes have extremely complex lifecycles and require numerous hosts to complete their various lifecycles. An earthworm being one, and your pets being the other. This is known as an indirect lifecycle. Luckily, this means that after the eggs develop and mature in your pets, the "new" eggs which were made in your pets will exit in the feces and the adult womrs inside your pets will die, and you pet will be "clean" again. However, if you keep feeding them the same earthworms, the keep ingesting the eggs, and the eggs hatch and mature once again in your pet to finish their lifecycle. If you are ok with this, then thats fine, they probably do no harm to your pets. I am just saying that this is something I am very against, and I know alot of people in the pet trade are.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Nobody answered my question? - EMWhite, Thu Nov 23 13:49:03 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: Nobody answered my question? - EMWhite, Wed Nov 22 18:32:57 2006