return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Redfoot tortoise basic care

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red & Yellow Foot Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: -ryan- at Wed Dec 13 16:52:10 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by -ryan- ]  

I saw that no one replied to this post. Whether or not you turn the lights off at night depends upon how low the temperature will get. You said around 60...that's a bit low. What I would do in that situation is use a red heat lamp instead of (or in conjunction with) the regular basking bulb, so that you can set all of the lights that actually produce clear light on a timer to turn off at night and on in the morning. I use this for the stock tank that some of my tortoises live in in my basement. It gets too cold down there to turn off the lights every night...my russians would go into hibernation if I did, so I use a red basking bulb instead of a white one, and that stays on at all times. I sometimes see one of the tortoises basking under it in the middle of the night, so I figure they must appreciate it

As for soaking...if you keep the red foot in a very humid environment, you won't need to soak it as much. Cut off a lot of ventilation and use a substrate (such as mulch or dirt) that will hold moisture. You'll know you've got it right when you see condensation. Remember, these are rain forest tortoises. Other people will argue that if you soak them frequently, you don't need to keep them in a humid environment. Don't be fooled...they're still dehydrated. When you soak a tortoise, it hydrates them in the same way as moist food items do. They take in the moisture, but they need to be able to keep it inside of them. If you take this well-hydrated tortoise and put it in a warm, dry (no humidity) enclosure, it's back to a dehydrated state before the next day arrives. They're designed for high humidity and a good amount of ambient heat. I have also heard that, being a rain forest dwelling critter, they tend to not need as much light as other torts (and in some cases I've heard it can be bad for them, especially their eyes, like when mercury vapor bulbs are used). It would be fascinating to see them in their natural habitat and see how much exposure to direct sunlight they actually ever get.

Oh, and a 2-3" redfoot is still usually considered a hatchling.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Redfoot tortoise basic care - largirl, Mon Nov 20 18:37:44 2006