return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Corn Snake . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - June 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Wonderful Turtles! But...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Spotted, Bog & Wood Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: TJ. at Mon Nov 27 16:18:27 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by TJ. ]  

...If you decide to get some be sure and get captive bred and born...Not wild-caught! I recently adopted 2 of them from our local pet store. Here's the story: The day I walked in to my favorite local pet store I didn't even know of the existence of C.A. Wood Turtles. They had 2 that looked like they were near death...and certainly Were the day a kid brought them in and dumped em off. Pet Store owner said the kid had bought them at a Petco or PetSmart and kept them in a totally aquatic environment with 3 Red-Eared Sliders. When they were brought in...their shells were totally gray and completely flexible as tho made of rubber! After a couple months at this new pet store they had made some tremendous improvement but still looked pretty rough. (They were Still in a totally Wrong aquatic environment but at least now had access to a basking rock under a full-spectrum bulb)The store's reptile manager asked if I wanted them! So I went home and spent most of a week (and lots of time and money) and built a replica of a Central American Rain Forest floor...went back up and brought em home. They love it here! Their shells have hardened up and they're slowly regaining some color...but its gonna take a long time (if ever) until they become as beautiful as the original specimens they once were. And in the last couple months I have inadvertantly become a bit of an "expert" with these turtles. I've been told that they were most certainly wild-caught as it seems no-one is breeding these things. Havn't had time to find this out yet for sure. Its great your asking questions First! Hope this helps. They are curious, personable and quite tame...taking food right out of my hand. I'll post some pics of them and their new home as soon as I can. TJ.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Wonderful Turtles! But... - kensopher, Mon Nov 27 17:26:27 2006

<< Previous Message:  Cenrtal American Wood turtle - bloom40, Sun Nov 26 20:19:48 2006