return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Its no different than what nature does

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to California Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bluerosy at Fri Dec 1 00:14:26 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bluerosy ]  

You could never ever push all the campbelli out.Once a hybrid always a hybrid.
Rainer is correct that they aren't going away and neither are the people working with them.
You just have to use your eye and best judgment in purchasing anything anymore.
I once remember (I think it was Rainer) posting a jurrasic amel milk/king that looked like a screaming tangerine honduran.

Shannon"

But you can push it all the way out.

The only person who would know it is breeder, or if he tells the buyer. Otherwise there is no way to prove it by looks and/or DNA. The only thing you can do is get your calculater and mathematize the 3% it has in it after back breeding. Otherwise for all intentional purposes IT BECOMES what you want it to by breeding. Thats the way it is officially in farm animals. We can learn a lot from that area.

But getting back to the cambelli being bred out of a cal king in nature. We can address the livestock thing on a seperate thread.

What do you think most of the snakes we have in the wild came from?? Do you think they are pure to the 3rd-4th-5th degree of generations. NO. What you have is the area a snake is in being bred back into another dominant species in the area and then the other one being a b s o r b e d.

Bottom line is this debate can keep going on forwever. I think it boils down to people and their beliefs. If one thinks that hondurans don't hybridize in the wild or cal kings or cornsnakes or...

BUT, then there is the question of certain alleles being matched up by snakes from one side of this continent to the other. SInce herpetoculture has started hybridizing we have discovered that not only some, but most reccessive traits are allelic with other species. Does anyone have the mathematical possibilities of that?? I have heard it before but cannot remeber the exact number. But it was some insanely unlikly number that it is impossible....Unless the snakes are related in the past the odds are better in play the lotto to win a match in an albino snake from calif being allelic with one from the east coast or mid west.

So with the odds of any matching alleles being a near imossibility it is LOGICAL to assume all thise snakes are related long enough to retain the same reccessive traits over generations.

WHICH BRING ME TO MY POINT SHANNON.. Its no different than what nature has done AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  What is a ruthven - smilnred77, Wed Dec 6 21:38:49 2006
<< Previous topic:  Cal King feeding issue - FunkyRes, Thu Nov 9 18:16:27 2006