return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Formic acid neutralized by Ca., Lester?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: fireside3 at Sun Dec 3 04:05:25 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by fireside3 ]  

Neutralization by Horned Lizard of formic acid through reaction with blood borne Calcium.

For some time those of us who have studied HL for a few years have heard numerous stories of a mystical substance contained in the blood of the HL, which is supposed to neutralize the formic acid from Pogo harvester ants. The story goes; that if the lizard does not receive harvester ants, or formic acid, this substance will build up and poison the lizard ( killing it ). For many years I have discounted this unsubstantiated mystery reference as hyperbole. Though I still believe it more or less to be hyperbole, I have recently reconsidered the basic tenets. Primarily the assumed "immunity" to harvester ant venom and any neutralization action.

An acid can be neutralized by a base of course. Calcium carbonate is a base salt and as we know is carried in the blood in a certain balance. Insufficinet calcium causes MBD as we know. When formic acid is neutralized by the base calcium carbonate, where water is present ( such as in the blood ), the product would be salt, CO2, and EXTRA water from the carbonic acid component of formic acid. This would also better explain the questions of excess salt excretions by the HL.

Calcium carbonate is much more soluble also when CO2 is present, making this reaction with formic acid very benificial to the HL's use of it in proper bone growth. The CO2 is then carried by the blood to the lungs and expelled.

I just find that fascinating. Anyone else?

Lester-I have a few biology related questions:

1. Is there any evidence to support a belief that the HL maintains a higher normal Ca. concentration in it's blood than any other lizard?

2. Reaction path-Is it a safe assumption that the HL "neutralizes/metabolizes" formic acid in it's blood by action with blood borne Ca.?

3. Is there any basis to support a belief that HL's have an advantage in proper growth and prevention of MBD when offered harvester ants ( per my post on P,Ca. solubility/digestability with formic acid)?

4. What effect does the excess ( beyond what is produced by normal respiration ) CO2 ( from formic acid metabolization ) have on oxygenation of the blood in the HL? Could this also explain their defensive/camouflage traits, as having something to do with a reduced availability of O2 in the blood for fleeing quickly, and great distances, compared to other lizards?
( I think it may be insignificant, but I'm reaching anyway.)

Has anyone even researched these avenues before?

Outside of improper captive care ( offering excessive Ca. supplements ), I don't believe there is any evidence that Calcium would build up ( hypercalcemia ) and cause a problem without formic acid. If the HL is able to keep up with the Ca. intake, it will simply pass excess Ca. the same as any other reptile. But, I am "discovering" new avenues and questions to research which is pointing toward Pogos having more significance than even I knew before. I'd appreciate input from someone with a strong biology background.
-----
"A man that should call everything by it's right name, would hardly pass the streets without being knocked down as a common enemy." The Complete Works of George Savile, First Marquess of Halifax 1912,246

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Formic acid neutralized by Ca., Lester? - reptoman, Sun Dec 3 09:26:07 2006