return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Lyre Snake . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Formic acid neutralized by Ca., Lester?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: reptoman at Sun Dec 3 09:26:07 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by reptoman ]  

Fireside, may I suggest you also look Wendy Hodges up on the internet and send her an e-mail with respect to this, as she may have some insigt as well. Your conclusion, whether based on a vaible theory or not-is where I go also, I don't discount anyones choices of food stuffs for their horned lizards, I just know that ever since I was a child in Camp Pendelton California I was raised around horned lizards and as I got older many times spent time obsevrving them on firebrakes eating large red ant, I new from an early age that ants made up a large portion of their scat. When I got older and got out of snakes and back into lizards, I caught a few males and females from Palmdale area and both me and my son worked together to breed these, and we staked out our ant piles in our city and often used a potatoe spoon to collect ants with. Yes I did occasionally feed them crickets and other faire from time to time, including moths, and spiders, we had an outside enclosure and kept these for 4 years back in the 70's which many lizard people were not doing and kept them very sucessfully, and this is also where we observed them eating various vegetations such as, green or red leaf lettuce, sweet alysum flowers, and rose pedals cut up real small. Also dandelion leaves. The adults just grab the leaves and tear off a piece and eat it. I used to feed my babies very finely chopped up vegetable material of the above mentioned and they would eat them as well. I have tried to get Lester or someon else to corroberate my observations but had yet to have anyone substantiate this, but this was a normal part of our offering to our horned lizards. Anyway interesting theroy, I think Wendy has done a lot of this tyoe of work as well and may have an insight. Just thought I'd share........
-----
Phrynosoma.org

______

signature file edited.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Formic acid neutralized by Ca., Lester? - fireside3, Sun Dec 3 17:03:54 2006

<< Previous Message:  Formic acid neutralized by Ca., Lester? - fireside3, Sun Dec 3 04:05:25 2006