return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: I'm a noob, i need help! : (

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pacman,Horn,Budgett Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: EdK at Wed Dec 13 20:30:29 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by EdK ]  

snip "I'm thinking about getting a pacman frog and i was planning on using a layer of clean soil with a layer of bed a beast on top of that."endsnip

I would suggest just using the bed a beast and skipping the soil. these are high waste producing animals and need to have thier enclosure cleaned on a relatively frequent schedule.

snip " I was thinking about putting the heater under only one side of the tank so he could choose which side he wanted to be on..."endsnip

What type of heater?

snip "i also wanted to add two bathing pools....one on either side.
Does anyone kno if Java moss can be used in such a small area such as one of those water dishes? or duckweed for that matter? i also wanted to put terrarium moss around part of the terrarium ( bordering the pond)... "endsnip

Things like java moss will simply be torn apart by the frog and duckweed will be tracked all over the tank. If you are going to try live plants you need really sturdy plants that can take the digging these frogs do..

snip "Also, when feeding guppies, can u just put the guppies in one of the water dish, will they stay alive? "endsnip

When using fish you are better off feeding them by hand...

snip "ALSO! frogs that are just smaller quarters....what can they eat? most crix are larger than them...i was thinking about reg mealworms...its seems like the only thing they can eat without making them FAT!"endsnip

Anything fed in excess can cause the frogs to be obese. You just need to feed the other items less frequently. If you search the forum going back several years there have been several discussions on how the food items compare on a kcal basis..

snip "and about Pheonix worms... i heard they are high in calcium would i still have to dust. "endsnip

Yes as the frog needs D3 to metabolize the calcium and to address other vitamin and mineral needs.

snip "and if ur crix are fed a gut load that has calcium d3 in it, is it still necessary to dust them?"endsnip

I would have to say probably yes as gut loading a high calcium diet with crickets is difficult to do properly. For example the crickets for optimal uptake need to be kept at 80 F at all times, and offered the food for at 48 hours before feeding the out to the frogs. If you are doing it properly the high calcium diet will typically kill the crickets starting at about 72 hours... (faster if there is insufficient water).

I would suggest getting either a copy of Dick Bartlett's Book on Horned Frogs or De Vosjoli's book on horned frogs.

Ed

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I'm a noob, i need help! : ( - KamiKrazee, Fri Dec 15 14:09:10 2006

<< Previous Message:  I'm a noob, i need help! : ( - kamikrazee, Wed Dec 13 17:30:43 2006