return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Elaphe davidi

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Asian & European Ratsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ratsnakehaven at Sun Dec 17 18:32:45 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ratsnakehaven ]  

>>I know that most of the Korean species represented in U.S. collections are actually out of China or Russia with the possible exception of E. dione and perhaps a very few E. s. schrenki that would have been exported many years ago by the late Lloyd Lemke. To my knowledge there has not been anything legally taken out of Korea since then.
>>
>>Thanks again for the info,
>>Don

Hi, Don. Good to see you on the forum again.

I got my E. dione from Lloyd Lemke back in 1996, I believe. He was one of two herpers that helped get me started in Eurasian ratsnakes. He also got me started with E. bimaculata. In our talks we never mentioned any other Korean snakes that I remember. I'm pretty sure he would have told me if he had E. davidi.

I don't have the original dione pair from Seoul, anymore, but here's my F1 female...

I do think there's a lot of variability in the dione in South Korea. I've hatched out several clutches with light and dark ones and some differences in pattern. They still look quite a bit different from the Chinese dione, however.

The dione, like E. davidi, are kind of montane. I believe they're in the lower and medium elevations. A friend of mine who works in Seoul found a couple dione last summer. They looked similar to the ones I have. I understand dione can be found on Quelpart Island too. That is pretty far south. I'd love to see one from there.

Rufodorsata is another type of ratsnake-like snake that occurs in Korea. Along with schrencki, that would be at least four ratsnakes there.

Thanks for the post and good luck finding davidi.

Terry

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Elaphe davidi - nydon, Mon Dec 18 03:34:50 2006 image in post

<< Previous Message:  RE: Elaphe davidi - nydon, Sun Dec 17 08:21:02 2006