return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Elaphe davidi

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Asian & European Ratsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ratsnakehaven at Sat Dec 23 07:42:20 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ratsnakehaven ]  

>>TC, I've been meaning to reply to your post for some time. Personally, after viewing the pics of davidi alone, I think it deserves unique generic status. Its scales are keeled on an order with carinatus, maybe more so, but it has round pupils. The pupils alone seem to considerably distance it from carinatus and quadrivirgata. Probably closer to schrencki, which would make sense given geographic distribution.
>>On a side note, my quad loves eggs!
>>
>>Shane
>>-----
>>Lifelist

Carinata, quadrivirgata, davidi, and schrencki are all very different from each other and I would think have been separated for a very long time. I link davidi with carinata, tentatively, because of the differences they have and separation, but if carinata were different enough from other Elaphe to give rise to new species then the direction, to the northeast, would be a good direction to go in. The differences they have could be explainable from moderation of carinata's characteristics, adaptations to new ecosystems to the cooler north. The change in the eye shape could be from an adaptation to a more diurnal way of life, in which the eliptical eye wouldn't be necessary. However, I don't claim to be the expert on this. It's just a suggestion, and there could be several other possibilities for the evolution of davidi in the location it's at.

Thanks for the discussion and keep at it. We need all the workers we can get on this part of the world.

You still are keeping quadrivirgata? For some reason I thought you moved on from those guys. That's great! What kind of eggs are you feeding them, and how often? Do they break the eggs, or swallow them whole? Great to be able to make those observations. I think the snakes of the main Japanese islands have been separated from the mainland forms for a very long time, possibly since the Miocene. The distances in relationships are pretty large. Japan is another great place to study the evolution of these snakes.

Happy Holidays again...Terry

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Elaphe davidi - Shane_OK, Fri Dec 22 02:51:50 2006