return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Won't eat and shell concern

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Painted Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ane728 at Sun Dec 17 17:45:42 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ane728 ]  

I have a male almost two year old painted turtle. He is kept indoors at all times. The se up is a 20 gallon long tank with a uvb bulb and a sun lamp. There is a under water filter and a turtle filter. Rocks on the bottom and a dock for basking.

When we got the turtle I read everything I could find. The Turtle (Blue) has been fine until a few months ago. Usual diet was aquatic plants, feeder fish, crickets, meal worms, earth worms, and Reptimini turtle pellets.

I used to roll the meal worms in calcium before he ate pellets but after he started eating pellets I stopped as the pelets have calcium in them. He used to eat every other day and would eat 10 meal worms and 5-10 pellets. Always very excityed to be removed from his cage knowing he was being fed. Then he stopped eating and so we started buying more fis. Now he will only eat the fish. And even that is few and far between.

I guess my question is how am I suppose to get calcium into my turtle when he won't eat anything but fish. And live fish. I tried to killl a fish and roll it in calcium and he would not eat it.

Also his shell in the back by his hind legs is starting to curl up and the outside edge of his shell on the top is pealing these things that look like fish scales.

Please help me. I am very concerned and there is no one by where I live that cares for turtles. I would be driving a great distance if I need to see a vet. Not that I won't if I need to.

Blue is a great turtle and has become a part of the family. I like him more then the dog! Thank you to anyone who can help.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Won't eat and shell concern - Linda G, Sun Dec 17 18:22:13 2006 image in post