return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Terry, I haven't had this much fun...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Asian & European Ratsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jfirneno at Fri Dec 22 17:52:51 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jfirneno ]  

on the forum in a long while. Korea and Taiwan are chiming in with brand new stuff at the same exact time. Very very nice.

Regards
John

>>>>here are the pics of the "hyper melanistic" schrenki. I had posted a few field pics of on the forum a year or 2 ago. As you can see it still has the typical markings on the chin and neck but lacks all of the white bandings.
>>>>
>>
>>
>>Where did you say this form was from? If this is the island form, which is in the Yellow Sea, I would have to say it is anomala. Like John said, E. s. schrencki does not range into South Korea according to any info that we have seen, including Schulz' book ('96). It looks like schrencki, but should be just a melanistic form of anomala according to the range. If it is not, then that would be a major find and you should record that somehow, if only to post it here. It could lead to some major discussion.
>>
>>It looks like anomala is extrememly variable according to your discussion. I would think the "yellow" form you posted a pic of is a variant of anomala. Once again because of the range. It looks like it is just an aberrant form. Maybe the pattern starts to break up in certain localities. Other ratsnakes, such as E. quadrivirgata, are known to be extremely varaible in the Far East, including melanistic and island forms, etc. There is a form of Euprepiophis conspicillata on Tsusima (Japanese island close to ROK) that is a variant with an unusual pattern. There is a lot that could be learned in ROK. I think good field work has been really lacking from that country.
>>
>>Cheers....Terry
>>

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Terry, I haven't had this much fun... - ratsnakehaven, Fri Dec 22 19:34:59 2006
>> Next Message:  Co-sign! - bertgrit, Sat Dec 23 14:10:12 2006

<< Previous Message:  RE: korean rats - discussion - ratsnakehaven, Fri Dec 22 05:02:55 2006