return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Hide Boxes

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to International Herp Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: orchdork1008 at Sat Apr 14 21:50:06 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by orchdork1008 ]  

Hi! I'm usually over in the US rat snake forum, but I decided to hop over here to see what's news. I almost jumped up for joy when I read that you have a Bubblegum ratsnake! I recently (the beginning of February) adopted a 2 year old Bubblegum myself. I have Aida in a 30 gal. long aquarium, with an undertank heat pad on the side of the tank and a ceramic heat bulb on top (there's a wire screen with clips that hold the lid securely in place and the lamp is raised up a bit so she won't burn herself when she goes climbing.

My experiences with Aida have been similar to what you're saying with your bubblegum. I have a hide box on both ends of the tank, one on the warm side (about 82 degrees) and one on the cool side (about 75 degrees). If she's feeling particularly active, she climbs up the edge of the tank and tries to crawl around the lid. I think she's just looking for a way out to cure some boredom, rat snakes are naturally very inquisitive and good climbers. Eventually she falls off and goes back to sleeping during the day. If she just ate, she tends to sleep in the box on the warm end but otherwise she stays on the cooler end. The only thing you have to watch is the humidity, but they're pretty adaptable snakes. As long as you've got a bowl of water that he can completely soak himself in, you should be fine.

Does your bubblegum like to swim? I've put Aida in a room temp. tub before and she takes off like a rocket. She puts her head under the water and goes for quite some time. They are excellent swimmers like most snakes.

How old is yours? I've been trying to find pictures of an adult bubblegum, but I can't seem to find any.

Here's a picture of my girl (my first pet snake, although I take care of many at the wildlife sanctuary I intern at)

Cheers!
Sarah

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Hide Boxes - PHLdyPayne, Sun Aug 13 14:34:22 2006