return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Thinking about buying a iguana

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to International Herp Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHLdyPayne at Sun Nov 19 20:43:47 2006  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHLdyPayne ]  

a 75 gal will do for a young iguana for some time. However, eventually you will need a very large enclosure. Green iguanas get pretty big, as big as 5' or more. Thus they need very large enclosures, at least 6'x6'x2' or larger. Not sure if a closet will be large enough, really depends on how big your closet is.

If you buy a baby green iguaua, it will take 3-4 years before it reaches adult size. However they do grow fast for such a small baby, it can easily reach 2-3 feet in the first year.

One thing I recommend with these lizards, research as much as you can about them. Buy a few green iguana books, there are plenty of good ones out there. Make sure you have access to good healthy greens and vegetables to feed him, the money to buy UVB bulbs, caging supplies, food, vet checks etc also the time to spend with your green iguana to ensure you socialize him enough when young. A nervous 5' iguana who doesn't like to be handled is not a fun thing to try and handle. They have a strong bite, long whip like tail and sharp claws.

Make sure you are able to care for this lizard for 20 years and won't tire of it after a couple years. Also, if you think you may be moving around alot, especially if you live in apartments, keep in mind you may not be able to bring your iguana with you. I definitely suggest anybody planning on going to college etc. in a few years not to get a green iguana. Dorms won't allow pets for the most part and a big iguana is not easily transported. Nor is it easy to find them good homes should you have to sell him.

If you thought long and hard and willing to put the effort and money and have the space, green iguanas can be excellent pets. I think they are awesome myself and would love to have one sometime in the future. Right now I don't have the space for one, and also they are banned where I live too, so double strike for me at the moment against owning them.

Nor do I recommend these lizards for first time or beginning reptile keepers. It is like buying a big dog when you never owned one before and don't know anything about training dogs. (ie house breaking, training to behave on leash, obey basic commands etc) and the dog you get is one that tends to be independant and strong willed.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Thinking about buying a iguana - shlaba, Sun Dec 3 13:03:52 2006

<< Previous Message:  Thinking about buying a iguana - shlaba, Sat Nov 18 14:16:42 2006 *HOT TOPIC*