return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Smooth Greens.....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Canadian Field Notes & Observations ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: KristenM at Tue Feb 24 10:02:30 2004  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by KristenM ]  

Hey,

I'm Dave's gf, anyways I found approx. I would est. 1-2, sometimes 3 smooth greens a week from, the beginning of may to the end of august. A couple cool finds were a gravid female, and a mating pair. I found them in several habitats, rocky outcrops, in and around wetlands, forests, etc. One place I never saw one was under a rock. I think that unless its the very beginning of the season or its really cold, you won't find a smooth green under a rock. They don't need to hide because there camoflague is so good. I found that they barely move when you approach them (I ALMOST stepped on one, that was in a patch of long grass, lucky I saw him before I took another step) because of they think that you cannot see them. But if they think you have spotted them or reach down to grab it they can take off so fast, and blend in so well, Good Luck getting close to it again. They also blend in well with their surroundings by doing a rocking motion to blend in with grass blowing in the wind. They only do this behaviour when wind is blowning, if it stops so do they. I have only found smooth greens in central ontario (muskoka area, up to sudbury area). Not to say that there aren't other great places in Ont to find them (since they are all over the province), central ontario is just where I have had the most luck. I'm not sure if I answered your question about how to find them, but I honestly feel that its mainly dumb luck if you find one. They are constanly moving, and I dont think they prefer one habitat over another, its just where food is. One way you may have a better chance of finding one is by road cruising, I have seen many DOR smooth greens this way, but you have to have sharp eyes.

Good Luck! And if there is any other Ontario snakes (located in central ontario) that you REALLY want to find I may be able to give you some other tips.

Kristen

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Smooth Greens..... - KristenM, Tue Feb 24 10:16:54 2004

<< Previous Message:  RE: Smooth Greens..... - herperjames, Fri Feb 20 13:29:39 2004