return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTIONS.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rkhorne at Thu Jan 11 10:13:21 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rkhorne ]  

For it to slow down on eating at this time of year is expected. If it doesn't disappear under the sand for long periods of time, then you need to keep it well hydrated, provide food daily like you are doing and give it enough heat to keep the metabolism up enough to digest. Becareful not to overwhelm it with too many prey items. Provide just a few pinhead crickets or ants(10 )two or three times a day. You can figure out what the optimum count is by slowly increasing the number until some are left after a 15 minute eating period.

Your hydration technique sound very close to what I do, which seems to work just fine for me. I don't place a water bowl in the cage, to many detrimental issues related with that technique. Instead, I use a separate disposable GLAD container for hydration. I start by placing no more then 1/4 inch of warm tap water in the bottom. I then place the animal in the container and the spritz it with more warm tap water until it is pretty much soaked. They tend to jump around at first but then settle down within a few seconds. Within a minute or two they start smacking their lips. What they are doing here is sucking the water from the corner of their mouths that has wicked up from the hands. Very interesting to watch. About 10 mintues of this technique 1 to 3 times a week should do just fine. Be sure to let them completely dry-out and re-heat in the aquarium before putting them to bed for the night. You don't want them going cold while they are wet.

Like you, right now I have two of my group that are refusing to hibernate while the others have been burried deep for weeks. These two are behaving like it's late summer, that is they are less active and eating less then they do in the spring and early summer. They don't appear to have any issues with weight and pretty much drink every time I hydrate them so although I'm concerned, I'm not too worried. Just the same, I still watch them pretty closely and if they start to look like they are loosing any weight then I up the frequency of hydration, which seems to re-activate their apetites.

Good luck,
Roger

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  MORE BEHAVIORAL OBSERVATION! - twobeewed, Thu Jan 11 11:18:14 2007
>> Next Message:  water dish-"detrimental"? - fireside3, Fri Jan 12 03:08:38 2007

<< Previous Message:  ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTIONS. - twobeewed, Wed Jan 10 18:48:28 2007