return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: 50 days incubation.. is for real

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain/Tree Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: EMWhite at Fri Jan 12 23:06:42 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by EMWhite ]  

jobi,
Thanks, I really found that interesting. I am curious though, even if husbandry conditions are perfect, does the stress the animal goes through in transit, from wherever, weaken it enough for parasites to become present in huge quantities? Then when put into captivity, does this fix itself? Or does this even actually happen, is it one of those things we are fed and told to believe?
You import your own, so you know the shipping methods better than I, so is it really that bad?

In stores like Pet Co and whatever else, their casualties are caused only by bad husbandry? (I really do plan to try this with the group of coronata, if I should get them.) Even if the animal is weakened and very thin, you think with only hydration and proper husbandry they will recover? Parasites don't weaken them further when that ill? The example of this I see most often is with green anoles. They come to stores in bags with crumpled newsprint by the hundreds. We have always kept them as best as we can, proper housing etc. and yet they sometimes drop like flies. Why do they do this if not from parasites? I didn't mean to turn this into a green anole conversation, but I think you could see the connections to the ideas being discussed.

Thanks for your post, and I am interested to see what you'll say next. This is really interesting to me, I lost my first pair of MHDs to what I accredited for so long to be a parasitic infection. I could think of nothing else that would have done it, the caging was the same as now, I still don't know.

Evan

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: 50 days incubation.. is for real - jobi, Fri Jan 12 23:35:50 2007 image in post

<< Previous Message:  RE: 50 days incubation.. is for real - jobi, Fri Jan 12 20:54:15 2007