return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: fat-tails won't eat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fat-tailed Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wanderinglost at Tue Jan 16 00:57:07 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wanderinglost ]  

Hi there!
Its really kind of hard to answer your question without a little more information. It would be better if we knew What your housing conditions were, i.e. Cage size, substrate, are you housing them together or separate, are they well hydrated, what are you trying to feed, and most importantly, are your temperatures correct. From the pictures there seems to be some white substance all over the geckos which appears to me to be evidence of a bad shed, This was probably left over from who ever you bought them from. I would make sure that you provide a humid hiding area ASAP if you do not already have one for them. It may even be best if you give them a "bath" to ensure they are hydrated and that will also help with the shedding problems. I would also say that it would be best to keep them separated, at least until you get them eating again, and probably better yet, permanently. Housing more than one gecko together typically stresses one of them if not both of them out to the point where they wont eat, and eventually one, if not both will die. Occaisionally, yes, you will get a gecko that will not eat for a few weeks when introduced to a new home. Most will not eat the first day or two. Most will eat within the first few weeks. As long as they are well hydrated you are typically ok. Two weeks, however, is reaching a point where I would be growing a little concerned. If all of your husbandry is correct and your geckos are separated, and they still wont eat, the problem may be more severe, and medical. Your geckos may be suffering from internal parasites that are causing the lack of appetite, and I would suggest taking them to a vet for treatment. Let us know so more information, and we will help as best we can.
-Dustin
-----
1.0 Bearded Dragons
1.3 Fat tailed geckos
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: fat-tails won't eat - erinmarie, Tue Jan 16 09:57:08 2007 image in post

<< Previous Message:  fat-tails won't eat - erinmarie, Mon Jan 15 14:42:53 2007