return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: fat-tails won't eat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Fat-tailed Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wanderinglost at Tue Jan 16 22:42:10 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wanderinglost ]  

It sounds like you are doing things right. To help the shed problems my suggestion would be to give your gecko a "bath". To do this you get some luke warm and "soak" your gecko in it. She will drink and probably also poop in the water. Let her soak about fifteen minutes once a week, after a while the shed should straighten up. Well, if you have one gecko eating, and the other one not, my suggestion would be to separate them. This way you can find out if the gecko is eating and your not seeing it, or if it is just not eating at all. It could be that the gecko that is eating has a dominant personality and is stressing the other one out. Once you have both of them eating, and you are sure everything is ok, you could try housing them together again. I have four fat tails, and I house each of them separately. It is much easier to monitor the health of each individual gecko this way. As far as the possibility of one of your fat tails being pregnant, you may have some serious problems there. It seems to me that the way you are describing them, and the way they looked in the picture they are fairly skinny, and the female is not in any shape for breeding, and laying eggs. This may lead to serious potential health problems for your female. My first suggestion would be to make sure she is eating, and eating well. Early on it is difficult to tell if a female is pregnant. As it gets closer to time for the eggs to be laid, she will have obvious lumps visible in the lower half of her body. For more information on what to do for egg laying and incubation, there are some great links on the care pages section of kingsnake. As far as substrate goes, first let me say that I use paper towels in all of my cages, it is easier to clean, you can monitor your animals bowl movements better, and you run little if no health risks. If you REALLY want a more natural looking habitat, I strongly adivise against sand, as it runs a much higher risk of impaction than most everything else. When I first got into fat tails, I used cyprus mulch to house them on for a while. They seemed to love it, but I caught one of my males eating it one time and I actually had to pull it from his mouth. That was the straw that led me to using paper towels. I would reccomend that you use some type of mulch if you definately want a natural looking setup. If you have any further questions let me know.
-Dustin
-----
1.0 Bearded Dragons
1.3 Fat tailed geckos
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: fat-tails won't eat - erinmarie, Tue Jan 16 09:57:08 2007 image in post