return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: clarification

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: fireside3 at Wed Jan 17 21:36:43 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by fireside3 ]  

"A sick, malnuorished, underweight reptile actually needs less in caloric intake in order to recover."

That is to say: "less" being relative in comparison to caloric intake during periods of normal health. They will benefit more quickly from less overall caloric intake, or from foods that can yield sufficient energy at a lower metabolic cost ( than say larger crickets, fattier foods, etc. ).

Minimum or base metabolic rate for maintaining organ function is obviously temperature dependent for reptiles, but reptiles have low cost of maintaining a metabolic rate at a given temperature. Reptiles on average have a 50% efficiency of energy conversion to biomass on what they take in, compared to less than 2% for mammals. That's tremendous, and that's why reptile young eating often grow very big, very fast. So when a reptile has a stress causing condition, including being emaciated, a reduction of calorie intake ( or high metabolic cost foods ) can help reduce work load on other organs and immune system, yet still yield plenty enough calories to maintain the rate required for the organs to function, and still put on wieght too without overloading an already stressed system.

Much the same way that people when sick tend to desire lighter food, such as soup, instead of a steak. There is a biological reason that equates to the body trying to maximize efficiency under stressful conditions in order to recover more quickly. A doctor would advise against an anorexic binging to recover, and a vet would advise the same caution trying to fatten up an underweight reptile. It has to be done slowly or methodically with the right food. ( hydration protocol is just as important, but not my current subject )

I recently turned around an emaciated solare using ants. It took a little more than a month and she more than doubled her wieght in that time. I didn't even give her a cricket until after she had gained about 15grams and I knew her metabolism and other functions were normal. Crickets and mealworms seem like they would fatten up a horned lizard more quickly, but it just seems that way. When I tried to fatten up other HLs in the past on bigger crickets and mealworms; what I got was an overall slow down, and it took much longer to achieve the same results.
-----
"A man that should call everything by it's right name, would hardly pass the streets without being knocked down as a common enemy." The Complete Works of George Savile, First Marquess of Halifax 1912,246

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Order problem - fireside3, Wed Jan 17 00:53:40 2007