return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Some Rats from Japan.........

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Asian & European Ratsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Shane_OK at Mon Jan 22 03:33:33 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Shane_OK ]  

Thanks Don. The quads are neat snakes, and thankfully, quite easy to find in some areas. I'm not sure about the various vernacular terms. The only common name that I have seen mentioned in text is "shima hebi," which literally means "island snake."

I was speaking with some of the rice farmers (from those habitat shots), and one man was trying to tell me about the melanistic form, but when I mentioned shima hebi, he gave a negative response. I don't remember what he was calling them, but it seemed to me that he didn't realize the striped and melanistic snakes were the same species. I was also trying to ask an old woman about mamushi, and when I mentioned finding a lot of shima hebi, she told me "shima hebi inai," which means that shima hebi aren't there.

They are obviously familiar with the snakes, probably seeing both forms on a daily basis, but they didn't know them as "shima hebi." I'll have to find out what they call them on this upcoming trip. It was nice to know that they weren't killing them in any case.........I imagine that mamushi meet a different fate when they are discovered.

I make regular trips to Kyushyu because my wife is Japanese, and her family lives there. We met while I was stationed on Okinawa, so we also try to visit her sister and friends who live there when we get the chance (great herping!). Here's a self-portrait from last summer:

After I finish school this December, I'm hoping to have a job lined up in Japan (airfield operations on Okinawa). If that pans out, then perhaps we can meet up for some herping.......and my wife can take your daughter shopping!

Shane
-----
Lifelist

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Some Rats from Japan......... - nydon, Mon Jan 22 04:46:01 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: Some Rats from Japan......... - nydon, Sun Jan 21 08:50:14 2007