return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

A reply to Saboteur...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Alligator Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: nixr at Mon Feb 5 15:59:51 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by nixr ]  

Saboteur,

Apologies for misinterpreting the sentiment of your initial message. The trouble that I had with that post was that you ended with an emphasis on illegal trade. I could not help but assume that you were making an inference that the individual that started this thread (or for that matter any person not directly associated with an institution that is keeping Abronia in captivity)is involved with illegal trade, therefore partly responsible for the species' endangerment. This was the way that I read into your post, and my response was based on this assumption. It was not a personal attack on you. I have no desire to see you banned from this forum. I'm glad that you did respond and express your concern for these animals more clearly.

You ask: "...why would be ilegal to collect this or other species, if doesnt represent any significant pressure???"

If my understanding of current Mexican laws regarding the collection of native plants and animals is correct, it is illegal to collect any species, regardless of how rare or common the species is thought to be, without having a scientific-collecting permit.

In response to collection representing significant pressure: there are no published accounts(that I'm aware of)that show that Abronia species are in decline as a direct result of collecting. If you are aware of data in support of this, I would be very interested in seeing it. I'm not suggesting that Abronia be collected en masse for the pet trade. However, if the limited areas where these lizards occur in nature are not protected and continue to be destroyed, what sense is there in protecting them from being collected?
Also, because there is no feasible way for the Mexican governmet to stop the complete destruction of remaining Abronia habitat, officials must make an attempt to show some level of protection over these rare and endangered lizards, so the easiest thing to do is enforce strict regulations on collection. Enforcing regulations over habitat destruction much more complicated and difficult, as it stands in the way of "progress".

Please understand that I feel that Abronia spp. are in need of significant protection within their natural habitat. If Mexican laws say it is illegal to collect, so be it. Ultimately, if the habitat of these lizards is not protected, these laws will have had very little consequence.

I look forward to hearing your views.

Adios,
Roberto

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: A reply to Saboteur... - saboteur, Wed Feb 7 08:40:06 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: please, everybody shall read this!!! - saboteur, Sun Feb 4 23:54:37 2007