return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Some pics of a few of my Acros

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Water Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: snakemastermyke at Wed Jan 31 19:52:47 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by snakemastermyke ]  

Make you a deal, you tell me where you got yours and I will tell you how to sex them LOL.

I recently spoke to a very high up person in Herpetology who asked me that same question, I am truly surprised how many do not know how to sex acros. This question I received was about javanicus, but sexing is the same for all three species

Heres what I wrote that person:

It is a common misconception that elephant trunks are hard to
sex. On the contrary Richard Shine said in his 191 paper on Acrochordian feeding habits that acrochords are in his opinion the single most dimorphic snake family! The reason many get confused as to sexing them is that the most common two methods do not work. You can not probe them with any hope of accuracy since they have no ventral scales to count and their tails are fragile. Of course since they have such thin muscular walls relatively speaking their entire bodies are fragile. Therefore popping is also a dangerous proposition that more often than not
can damage or kill a young fragile acrochord. However there are many key visual traits that differencaite the two sexes. The first is head size. Females jaws are much broader, and their entire face wider in contrast to
the males.

Here is a picture I took to illustrate that...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/snakemastermyke/towacros.jpg

Second females are more heavy bodied with less defined necks. This is harder to tell on young ones, however the less neck definition is barely
visible...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/snakemastermyke/PICT7764.jpg

(the lighter one on top is the female)

Third the males tail is much longer. In that last picture the tails are cut off so you can't tell. the males tail is curled in the paper towel quiet a bit. It is not that the females have small tails, just short than that of a male. Also the males tails are much bulgier which is most visible from the ventral side.
Finally color. Now this in my opinion is anecdotal at best, however Shine does mention it in his report on feeding differentials between the sexes of a. javanicus. (This report details the facts that female acros are sit and wait ambush predators while males are active searchers, yet another
dimorphic quality of some note.) In the picture above (and again below)you see how the female is much lighter and less contrasting than the male.The reason I discount this is acrochords are so variable between ranges that one might miss sex an animal simply due to its locality. I find this variance barely notable unless one has two animals from the exact same
location.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/snakemastermyke/PICT7764.jpg
-----
www.f1reptiles.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Some pics of a few of my Acros - snakemastermyke, Wed Jan 31 19:54:14 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: Some pics of a few of my Acros - gorio, Sat Jan 27 05:17:10 2007