return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Good questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: markg at Fri Jan 26 02:14:50 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by markg ]  

These are all great questions. I've wriiten a novel here for you.

Regarding substrate ingestion - it is kind of like the cell phone on an airplane thing. There has been no proof that cell phones interfere with aircraft controls, navigation, etc, but in theory it seems possible. But because cell phone designs and operating frequencies change so quickly, there is no way the FAA can have planes tested constantly for every new cell phone design, so they just play it safe and ban all cell phones while in flight.

Alot of keepers apply that same school of thought. Play it safe, even though having a snake die from ingesting substrate has happened very few times if at all. It may be that the substrate did not cause the problem in the first place, but we play it safe just in case. Not a wrong approach. So, reptile carpet is a safe way to go, even though we really do not know if there was much danger to begin with.

In the wild, they deal with it just fine, but of course they have evolved to live on that soil type. But as is always said, captivity is not even close to the wild. Snakes kept in marginal conditions may be more sensitive to anything, including these wood particle substrates.

Seriously, if you've ever found a rosy in the wild, there aren't any aspen shavings around, or reptile carpet, or ground walnut. These substrates are so foreign to what a rosy has evolved in/on that it is amazing that the snakes do as well as they do in our plastic boxes. They definitely adapt to our captive conditions as much as our captive conditions provide for them.

Regarding humidity. Excellent question. I have seen the effects of too high of humid conditions on rosies, and it isn't good. But, moderate humidity is just fine especially when lots of ventilation is provided. Since rosies live underground most of the time, it is safe to say that they don't dry out. There must be some humidity level down there. Probably very stable and probably in the lower end of moderate. So if cage carpet helps maintain that level in that breeder's cages, then maybe that is why they recommend it. Sounds reasonable to me.

I have done a soak session with baby rosies once a week or once every few weeks in a plastic box with a water level of less than 1/4 inch for about 5 minutes or so. I think the babies are better off being hydrated like that and then kept dry between those soakings. I think it helps with feeding response. I live in an area that can get dry though. If I lived in Florida, I doubt it would be necessary to soak. Probably tough to keep rosies happy there anyway with that year-round humidity.

One other observation from my own collection. I've never seen a stuck shed on a rosy, no matter how dry I've kept them. I think that says alot about how well they do with lower humidity in their cage most of the time.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Good questions - j3nnay, Fri Jan 26 10:28:13 2007

<< Previous Message:  Question about housing Rosy Boas - j3nnay, Thu Jan 25 20:16:44 2007