return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Looking to upgrade my camera

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Photography Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: chrish at Thu Feb 1 00:08:46 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chrish ]  

If you are considering the Canon 400D (Rebel Ti), I think you should also look at the other recent competitive 10MP DSLRs-

Nikon D80 - a bit more expensive
Pentax K10 - a bit more expensive, but image stabilized and getting rave reviews from those who have it
Sony Alpha 100 - again image stabilized, and getting good reviews.

You can compare the specs of these four cameras here - LINK

Read the reviews of these four and compare not only the prices of the cameras, but the prices and availability of lenses, flashes and other accessories you might want.

Some people have questions about the future of Pentax in the camera business, but that is largely speculation, AFAIK. I know two people with Pentax DLSRs and they are both happy customers. The Pentax mount cameras also allow you to use older (cheap) manual focus lenses, which is a bonus.

The most important thing you should do, however, is go to a store that stocks these and handle them! Find the features/settings you will want to change frequently. How accessible are they (i.e. do you have to search through three menus to find them, or is there a button)? That's the sort of thing that makes a big difference over the long run.

As for ring flashes, I don't like them for herp photography. I much prefer to get the flash off the camera, either with a sync cord or with wireless flash.
(Wireless flash is another thing you should consider when looking at the system. Do you have to buy extra stuff, other than the flash, for it to work? Some brands require that, adding to the expense.)

I'm also a birder and try to take a few bird shots. I have some long lenses (a 500 f/4.5 and a few shorter lenses) and I bought most of them used from KEH.com for less than 1/4 their retail prices. Good lenses cost money, however.

As for macro lenses, certainly look at the other brands. Sigma and Tamron make excellent macro lenses that are significantly cheaper than the camera brand lenses and score as high (if not higher) on tests of optical quality.
-----
Chris Harrison
San Antonio, Texas

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Looking to upgrade my camera - erik w, Thu Feb 1 02:09:54 2007
>> Next Message:  A little more about the Pentax option - Rak, Thu Feb 1 20:13:22 2007

<< Previous Message:  Looking to upgrade my camera - MonarchzMan1, Wed Jan 31 21:22:39 2007