return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Looking to upgrade my camera

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Photography Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: MonarchzMan1 at Mon Feb 19 17:33:26 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by MonarchzMan1 ]  

After looking through the options, I think that I've decided to save up for the Pentax K10D. I've got a few months before I want to get it, so I've got some time. Just looking at the features, I like the in-camera IS as well as the weather resistant seals.

Reading through the reviews, it looks like Pentax always got the highest marks.

Having made that decision, I'm looking at, to begin with, 2 lenses. I think that I'll get the body and lens package that comes with a 55mm lens, and in addition, I'll get the Tamron 70-300mm macro zoom lens. Since herps tend to zip away when approached, it'd be nice to be able to get natural pictures of them, close up, at 5-6 meters away. I think that that'll double as a long range lens (it looks like there's a switch that I can flip to go from normal to macro mode). I'm also considering getting a teleconverter. That'd effectively double my lenses. I can't decide if I want to get a 1.4x and just up the lens by one f-stop or 2x and up it by 2 f-stops. I think the former would be better.

Eventually, I'd like to get a large lens like a 600mm to get good bird shots, but for now, I think that between a 10 MP camera and a 300mm (possibly 600mm with teleconverter), I'll be able to get good pictures of such. Also, in the future, I'll probably get a short wide-angle lens. I think that'd be the extent of what I'd want, at least for now.

I'm still looking for flashes. I do like the idea of ring flash when working close up so I don't get shadow, but I don't know if I'd like a ring flash or a twin flash. I imagine the former will do well just because I can control what lights light. I'll also get a large "regular" flash for longer distances.

I think that after all of that, and a good weatherproof backpack, I'll be set!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Looking to upgrade my camera - rak, Tue Feb 20 08:14:40 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: Looking to upgrade my camera - rak, Mon Feb 19 11:10:41 2007