return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Here are some things I would try...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Photography Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: chrish at Sat Feb 3 11:43:28 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chrish ]  

I remember seeing a list of things to do or try with a new camera posted somewhere but I can't seem to find it now. Can anyone help me out with some ideas.

First of all, for subjects, just find something from around the house that is about the same size and reflectivity as a herp.

Here are some things to try -
1. Test the limits of your lenses (how close can you get, etc.) This is good to know in advance because it will make field shots easier to set up.

2. Learn to use your camera. Read all the stuff in the book and play with it. For example, maybe you haven't ever thought about using Rear-curtain sync, or slow-sync flash. Play with these settings and see what opportunities they open up.

3. Try experimenting with depth of field. I find many herp photographers simply stop their lenses all the way down to f/22 or f/32 and shoot there without thinking. In reality, you can plenty of depth of field at settings like f/13 or f/16 and get sharper shots out of your lenses and have more lighting options.
Shoot a series of shots at different f/stops and determine how much DOF is enough.

4. Look at a lot of herp photos. For each one, try to verbalize what you like and dislike about it. Try to figure out how it was done, and then plan/practice emulating the things you liked and getting rid of the things you didn't. Practice different compositions, etc.

5. Practice making realistic studio setups. Even if you mostly take field shots, choosing the right background and place to shoot makes a big difference in the appeal of the shot. How do you determine what will look good? Practice. I actually have one of this little rubber poison dart frogs that I pose in setups to see generally how it will look.

6. Go to the zoo if there is one nearby and practice using your camera. Try to determine what each and every setting on your camera does and think about how you might use this to improve your herp photography palette.

7. Try altering the lighting using diffusers and reflectors. You can make diffusers and reflectors out of common household items and really improve the quality of lighting in your shots.
-----
Chris Harrison
San Antonio, Texas

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Here are some things I would try... - Hoochiepucker, Mon Feb 5 20:37:29 2007

<< Previous Message:  Help with my new camera please - Hoochiepucker, Fri Feb 2 21:32:11 2007