return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Thinking about getting a pair of Tok

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tokay Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: EVILMORPHGOD at Sat Feb 10 16:02:14 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by EVILMORPHGOD ]  

>>Well Its my birthday coming up and I have been thinking putting up a nice vivarium for the livingroom with a couple of Tokays.I love the way they look.But I got a couple questions..
>> First do they hide all day? I want to be able to see the animals at least occasionally.

No, they often hang in the background and are more likely to come out if they feel secure.

>> Second..Cleaning, I do know these are aggressive animals so how hard are they to catch when time to clean the cage, or are there tips to cleaning with minimal invasion of their home.

Easy, give them a place they like to hide in like a piece of 2.5" PVC with a cap on one end..... once they decide that they like this area you can almost guarantee that they will be there during the day. When you clean the cage just take out he tube place in another secure container and CLEAN!

>> Third..How often do you feed them? Daily or every other day?Insects only or veges too?

No VEGGIE!!!!!! I have NEVER seen them remotely interested in a vegetable. They are carnivores and may also appreciate nector and fruit(in theory at least). They eat bugs..... and even mouse pinkies...in the wild they will predate on almost anything that they can catch...lots of lizards!

>> Fourth...Do they require UVB light?
No, but I think they like it!

Calcium supplements? Yes, all lizards need this and esp. geckos!
>>
>>
>>I do have experience with lizards, have been bitten by several kinds not to worried about that.But I have never had any geckos.Thanks all

Well, since I appear to be "all" you are welcome.

Tokays bite in two fashions...a warning bite where they may just nip you and try to scare you off. A quick little sideways snap, often a bark too boot! The second one is when you have grabbed one and it turns around to latch on...this can be a serious and PAINFUL bite...their eyes sink into their heads as they get the best of you.... it is amazing how strong their jaws are and how bad their little mouths can hurt!

If one latches on put is down on the ground as fast as possible..... this seems to be the best approach at getting it to release its "death grip"...it will often try to escape and bites like this are only a last resort effort and the reaction of a terrified Tokay!

SATAN
>>-----
>>
-----
"Satan™" is a registered trademark of NERD, Inc. Any copyright infringement is punishable by ETERNAL DAMNATION and some other terrible stuff.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Thinking about getting a pair of Tok - BlakeDeffenbaugh, Tue Feb 13 17:13:14 2007
>> Next Message:  Thanks so much - cee4, Sun Feb 18 13:37:14 2007

<< Previous Message:  Thinking about getting a pair of Tokays. - cee4, Sat Feb 3 18:27:17 2007