return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

GA Press: I Keep Clear of Snakes

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crotalidae ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: W von Papineäu at Sun Feb 11 17:14:24 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papineäu ]  

GAINESVILLE TIMES (Georgia) 11 February 07 I have enough faith to keep clear of snakes (Harris Blackwood)
I don't like snakes.
I have a great appreciation of their contribution to the eco-system, but I didn't get far enough in Boy Scouts to master recognition of poisonous and non-poisonous snakes.
Therefore, I stay away from all slithering reptiles.
If you want to hang out with snakes, that's your business. But don't invite me over.
There's just something disconcerting about a creature which could either bite you and send a deadly poison venom running through your body or could crush you and have you for dinner.
Another thing against snakes is that they are not cute. Puppies, kittens, rabbits and birds are cute. They do little cute things that make you smile.
Snakes do not.
Some folks keep pythons as pets. Pythons like to eat mice for dinner, which is fine if your have an infested home. But if you don't, you have to stop by a pet shop, buy a mouse or two and take it home for dinner ... the snake's dinner.
That can't be fun to watch.
For several years, Fitzgerald, Whigham and Claxton, Ga., have all had an event called a rattlesnake roundup.
This is where folks go out and find rattlers and bring them in. Trophies are given for the most and largest snakes.
The most common tool used to get rattlers is what is often referred to as an "Alabama credit card," a small section of water hose. It can also be used to siphon gas out of a car.
But, if you're flushing out rattlesnakes, an ounce or two of gasoline sent down the credit card will quickly bring a rattler out of the hole. He might be a bit woozy, which would be my choice in approaching one.
I went to the Rattlesnake Roundup in Whigham, which is down near the Florida line, years ago.
A guy wearing a jungle outfit grabbed a rattler with a hook-like device and then held the snake with his hands.
As I mentioned earlier, my snake knowledge is limited, but this one did not appear to be happy.
The guy hooked the snake's fangs over a little juice glass and milked him of his venom.
He claimed that the venom was collected and used to make a serum for folks who get bitten.
They also take the hides and make shoes, boots and belts. I'd be afraid some snake might see me wearing them and recognize my shoes as his late cousin. As a result, I don't own any snakewear.
Once, I covered a funeral for a man who died from a snakebite at a snake-handling church.
These folks believe in a very literal interpretation of the book of Mark where it talks about speaking in tongues, taking up serpents and drinking deadly things.
If you believe this way, that is your right and I respect that.
According to the church members, the guy who was departed didn't have enough faith and the snake knew it.
We didn't go inside for the service, but from the sound of things they weren't tiptoeing around those rattlers.
Now comes word that some folks are critical of rattlesnake roundups because of the possible effect on the environment.
Well, I appreciate that it isn't good to pour out gasoline. But anything that helps roundup a few more rattlers is OK with me.
Somebody say A-men (and if you're saying it with a rattler in your hand, please move a few more steps away).
I have enough faith to keep clear of snakes

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]