return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Glossy Snake

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Small Terrestrial Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jumpinallday at Thu Feb 22 01:13:15 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jumpinallday ]  

Disclaimer- I do not recomend people collect animals in the wild, especially people with no prior herp experiance, I collected the glossy's Im writing about after having 10 years of herp experience and it was still a learning experience in small prdominitly lizard eating snakes.

I figured I'd post this in case anyone is interested. I picked up a pair of Glossy Snakes one night while road crusing just because they are interesting little snakes and the ones I found where a sexed pair of hatchlings. Mine went 4 nerveracking months without feeding before I got them on scented then unscented pinks. I tryd many different feeding staragies. Placeing piinks in paper towl tubes in the enclosure, making a nest of pinkies, deli cups, etc but none worked for a full 4 months. I learned that glossy snakes need the the smallest pinkie mice you can get your hands on. A day old pink at the most no bigger then a pencil eraser. They cannot eat and/or are intemidated by the larger pinkies corns and kings can eat as hatchlings. It helps to give them a good rinse in warm water then scent them on lizard. I used juvi leapord geckos hoping they the scent was comparable to the banded geckos glossy's eat in the wild. I then put the snake in a brown lunch bag and fold it down to maybe 2 inches tall clip the top and place them in a tub in one of my racks. (IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!) do not place the bag over the heat or near any source of heat glossys are perfectually fine eatiing at room temp as longa s it is not below 70 or so. I leave them about 24 hours and check them. I got both of the snakes to eat within a week of each other this way, and only had to scent the next two pinks beofre they got conditioned to eat in the bag and took unsecented un-washed piinks. My pair have now taken pinks 9 feedings or so and they are still on super small pinks. Both have shedded clear sheds twice and are growing nicely. I dont know if an adult good be conditioned to take a mouse as easily but the hatchlings seem to adjust well. I hope this helps anyone who ends up with hatchling glossy snakes and is having trouble getting them adjusted and thriving.

-----
Ricky

lots of everything im not gonna list it

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Glossy Snake - reako45, Thu Feb 22 11:17:57 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Glossy Snake - MikeFedzen, Thu Feb 22 17:22:51 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Glossy Snake - rhallman, Fri Feb 23 14:53:26 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Glossy Snake - tspuckler, Fri Feb 23 15:47:18 2007 image in post
>> Next Message:  RE: Glossy Snake - Herptophile, Wed May 30 15:57:19 2007