return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Metric vs. "English!" and then some

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dumerils Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: amarilrose at Thu Feb 22 14:40:11 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by amarilrose ]  

I would think that the metallic shield for the ceramic heat emitter is still not anything you want to use with a snake; they love to explore stuff, and usually not what you want them to explore!

As for good caging, while a lot of people who keep multiple reptiles gripe about using fish tanks - and they are not the best cages out there - they do work pretty well. You can usually find used fish tanks for ridiculously cheap (at least around here) in your local classified ads. I believe the suggested footprint for an adult Dumeril's Boa cage is 4' X 2' which works out to about 121.92cm X 60.96cm, and figuring for a 2' height, gives a volume of 453L or about 119 gallons... in case you get a chance to look around for some used aquaria.

For my own little collection, I currently have a mixture of glass "Critter Cages" with sliding, lockable mesh lids, and old used aquaria with home-made mesh tops. They work just fine, though humidity can be an issue just because my house gets very dry in the winter, and the mesh tops allow a lot of humidity to escape the cages. To counter that, I am using some thin plastic/acrylic sheets my husband and I found at a local home improvement store, with cut-outs to allow for my heat lamps (which I am slowly working away from as well). They aren't perfect, but they aren't bad either. If you should eventually get a used fish tank, just make sure you thoroughly clean & disinfect it before putting your snake in it. Just make sure that everything is safe and maintains the desired environment.

Hope that helps

~Rebecca
-----
0.1 Dumeril's Boa '04 (Courtney)
1.2 Ball Pythons

0.2 American Pit Bull Terriers (40lb darling lap dogs:Brandy&Mara)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Metric vs. "English!" and then some - reptilicus81, Thu Feb 22 18:23:38 2007
>> Next Message:  "moving away from heat lamps" question - superdave1781, Mon Feb 26 10:16:08 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: Metric vs. "English!" and then some - zorpasg, Thu Feb 22 14:11:23 2007