return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Feeding tree lizards…

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain/Tree Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FroggieB at Tue Feb 27 13:58:27 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FroggieB ]  

Jobi,
What is the balance of fat/protein for our feeder items as far as the ratios. My animals get mostly earthworms, which I see are lower in fat per your chart. The babies get some mealworms but the adults don't. So, I would guess that this is one of the better choices of feeders. Correct me and explain why not if you believe otherwise please.

Also, I occasionally raise up silkworms, mostly in the summer when I can gather mulberry leaves, but sometimes in spring or fall on the powdered food you cook up. These also seem to be on the low side as far as fat.

The only other things that my animals get are the roaches. These get a high protein diet of dog food and lots of fruits and veggies. So, I am guessing that this is too high in fat as the dog food is pretty fatty. Perhaps I should look for a lower fat protein like maybe legumes for the protein part of their diet. They will cannibalize if they don't get enough protein but I sure don't want to give them the fats if it isn't good for my animals.

The only other thought I have on this is that of 3 females that died eggbound only one of them had any fat in her abdomen. The other two were very lean showing no fat at all. If there is no fat in the abdomen is it still possible that there is a fatty liver?

Regards,
-----
Marcia - FroggieB Dragons
www.froggieb.com/MHDHome.html

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Feeding tree lizards… - jobi, Wed Feb 28 00:19:16 2007

<< Previous Message:  Feeding tree lizards… - jobi, Fri Feb 23 21:42:49 2007