return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: non-existant?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Small Terrestrial Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: aliceinwl at Sat Mar 17 18:10:21 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by aliceinwl ]  

Brown snakes would be an option, but cbs are virtually non existant and they would not tolerate handling well.

With lizard eaters parasites become an issue since feeder lizards tend to be wild caught and heavily parasitized. Switching them over to rodents can be tricky so you may want to try to get one that has already made the switch.

The smell of guinea pigs is not going to effect the snakes. When I was in college we bred our, mice in the same room as the snakes. If you've been handling the guineas, wash your hands before handling the snakes.

Male Kenyan sand boas are going to stay under 2 feet and you could feed fuzzy sized mice. I'm not sure about max female Kenyan size but I think its under 3 feet and there is no way they could tackle an adult guinea pig.

Rosy boa size is going to vary by locality. Desert and mexican rosys are going to tend to be smaller than coastal rosys. Males will top out at 2-3 feet and females will top out at 3-4 feet with larger sizes being attained by the coastals.

Rubber boas are going to be similar in terns of size to the kenyans.

Virtually any species of gartersnake could also fit the bill. Garters tend to be more high strung than the above snakes but can tolerate occaisional handling. I find them to be the most personable of all my snakes. Sizes are going to vary by species. These guys do not constrict so would not be able to tackle a guinea pig at any size. Most will fall into the 2-4 foot range with males being much smaller than females.

Western hognose snakes will top out at around 2 - 3 feet with males being smaller. They also don't constrict. Personality can be a little variable with them, but most are good tempered. Some do a lot of bluffing, however.

Other snakes to consider: African house snake male (males top out at 3 ft females can get over 5), spotted and children's pythons are a bit pricy, but max out at around 3 ft., and there are several other species of sand boas you could look into as well. The forums have a wealth of information about a wide variety of snakes so when one strikes your fancy, go check out what others have to say about it in terms of handling, ease of care, and adult size.

In terms of escapes, it's always the little guys getting out on me. If you get a secure cage with one of those sliding screen lids and pin or lock it you shouldn't have any problems (as long as you don't have cats that like to sleep on the lids and punch in the screens ). This would open up popular colubrids such as kingsnakes, gophersnakes, and cornsnakes for consideration. It would be several years before these snakes get to a size where they could pose a threat to an adult guinea pig.

-Alice

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: non-existant? - KevColubrid, Mon Mar 19 18:37:24 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: non-existant? - ShadowdDream1313, Sat Mar 17 11:46:28 2007