return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Zonata: I need your help

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: dlofland at Sun Mar 18 19:03:28 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by dlofland ]  

I know many of you are as "Z" crazy as I am. If so you have been keeping track of your Lampropeltis zonata sightings over the years or can recall at ease to brag to other herpers, here is a chance to pool that collected knowledge. I am currently piecing together a thesis at the University of California Santa Cruz on this topic that will hopefully bring to light certain flaws in current L. zonata policies in California.

My goal is to define the range and the sites of aggregation for the California mountain kingsnake partnered with current population data. I will then compare the state policies, range, and when possible population of 3 species of California snakes to Lampropeltis zonata: California common kingsnake (Lampropeltis getulus californiae), California subspecies of the rosy boa (Lichanura trivirgata), and California subspecies of the gopher snake (Pituophis melanoleucus).

I am trying to make the information as complete as possible so, what I am looking for is your sighting information. I understand that you want to protect the regions that you have discovered. All I am asking is for you to list the:

County/Mountain Range (or river bed)/ elevation/ time of year/ and size of the individual.

This amount of information will not compromise your site and will greatly assist me in my research. Please email me or reply to this post if you think you can help or if you have any questions about my research.

As for my experience I am currently feeding and breeding a L. zonata colony on the UCSC campus with around 200 snakes from localities all over Northern and Southern California. I already have a pretty good grasp of where they are but every new locality addition is as valuable as the first.

PLEASE ONLY FACTUAL RESPONSES, it will not help the cause to have false data incorporated into the project.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Lampropeltis zonata parvirubra - Burnsy, Wed Mar 21 14:27:34 2007
<< Previous topic:  - , Wed Dec 31 18:00:00 1969