return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Horny Toads?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rkhorne at Mon Mar 19 12:51:54 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rkhorne ]  

Well, now I understand why the call them “Horny Toads”.

Less then a month out of hibernation and my 2004 CB DHL male is hitting on everything that moves.

Friday night I found him biting the back of the 2005 CB DHL male. Within seconds he jumped up on the back and latched on to one of the crown horns and started trying to get in position. I poked and prodded him to try and get him to release, but nothing would dissuade him from his mission. I then got out the sprayer and after a couple of squirts he released, only to re-initiate pursuit within seconds. Didn’t matter that I pushed him aside or continued to squirt him, as soon as I stopped intervening, off he went. It was really comical. The 2005 male finally got fed up with it and raised his tail as if to say “hey, can’t you see I’m a boy!” But yet the pursuit continued, that is until the 2005 male dove under the sand leaving the 2004 male in a tizzy of head bobs. I then dug up the 2004 CB DHL female just to see what would happen and his pursuit started immediately. She wasn’t having any of it and immediately dove back under the sand.

Saturday morning he was back at it pursuing the 2004 CB DHL female all over the cage. I had to go to a soccer tournament, so I moved all of them into the outdoor enclosure. Don’t know what happened out there that day, but I’m sure he was busy.

Sunday I came back from the morning soccer game to find him latched on to a horn of the 2005 CB Solare female. She dragged him all around the cage until he finally fell off. Pursuit continued, but this time she was lifting and wagging her tail at him. Something of an invite I guess. Several mountings occurred but no confirmed breeding were observed. Not sure that combo will even work, but they both seemed to be enjoying it, so I just let them be. Later I saw him chasing down the 2005 CB Solare dwarf (female I believe). He was beginning to look pretty ragged, so I decided to move him to another tank and give him and his cage mates a break.

I can not confirm any actually breeding, but boy this guy sure is trying. His vent looks quite swollen, ripe and ready to go. I’ve never had any WC behave this aggressive, at least not while we watched only inches away. I always had to cover their tank with a towel to get them to breed. It’s been quite fun to be able to observe their behavior so openly. Each time the kids go by the tank they yell out, “Dad…he’s at it again! Can’t you control this guy?” It’s becoming something of an ongoing joke around the house.

I will try introducing the females to him periodically, under some sort of controlled environment. At least that way he will actually eat between visits, I hope.

I just wasn’t ready for this much activity so soon after coming out of hibernation. Gonna have to change my care protocol I guess. Lesson learned.

Thanks,
Roger

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]