return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Richard and other rubber boa Enthusiasts

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rubber Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: RichardFHoyer at Sun Apr 1 00:58:31 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RichardFHoyer ]  

Chris,
Since I mimic natural conditions, I turn off all lights and heat sources near the middle or end of Oct. at which time my captive specimens enter brumation. Since males are found in the month of February locally, as you have done, I bring them out of brumation at that time--usually in mid to 3rd week in Feb. Females I usually leave in brumation until near the end of March or first of April. But this year, I had a batch of pinkly lab mice at just the right size in the second week of March so turned on the light / heat source at that time for the largest 6 females I am maintaining. Some took meals a day or so later.

As it stands, all of the adult females (12) I am maintaining have taken at least one meal thus far, the last two females taking meals this evening. I am maintaining 8 adult males and three have taken meals. It is not unusual for adult males to fasts until mid to late May or even early June.

The juveniles and subadults are generally the last to emerge from brumation. I have quite a few of those guys so have left them in their torpid state as it has been generally cool here in western Oregon this March. Soon as it begins to warm up outside and some of the small boas begin to stir, I will then begin offering them prey. I have two males born in 2002, both in excellent condition for their lengths, that are half the weight of your male.

Don't have any idea as to why your boas would cease taking prey beyond April. Perhaps it has something to do with the conditions under which you maintain the specimens. Do you turn off your heat source during the night time hours as occurs in the wild or do you maintain you specimens at higher than normal outside temperatures at night and during the night?

Richard F. Hoyer

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Richard and other rubber boa Enthusiasts - CBH, Sun Apr 1 18:10:01 2007 image in post

<< Previous Message:  Richard and other rubber boa Enthusiasts - CBH, Thu Mar 29 21:43:21 2007