return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Active lizards...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain/Tree Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jobi at Mon Apr 2 14:33:46 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jobi ]  

This weekend I got a visit from Phillip my cousin from France, Phillip has been working with iguanids and varanids for more then 30 years, but he’s a surgeon by profession. Anyway sins we exchange regularly, like me he started keeping acanthosaura last year, however he followed husbandry advice from an other European keeper who’s been keeping acanthosaura’s for a long time.

This was his reaction to my lizards, first he tough the colors where simply awesome! Then he could not believe how energetic my acanthosaura where, his are mostly lethargic and rarely move throughout the day, he took a few temperature readings of both lizards and ambient, at first he was going to say these temps are way to hot, but then something unexpected happened, lizards he was trying to take temp readings would jump and run off, how come they do this? Jesus these are acting like freaken red-heads! All those iv seen move little if al all, you should post about this I am sure other keepers don’t know how these lizards are active.

Well I never really paid much attention to this as I haven’t seen other keepers acanthosaura in real life. I assumed mine where acting normal? In fact they are acting normal, when peoples telling me there dragons stayed at the same place all day, I assumed the dragon moved without them seeing, as most peoples don’t have the luxury of being around there lizards all day, therefore they miss most of the action, but no my cousin confirmed that his actually stay in the same position a full day sometime more before moving. That’s crazy! I would never keep such boring creatures.

Mine jump run and will dart at the feed bowl when ever I throw a handful of insects, in fact if I don’t feed them and I open the cages one or 2 will jump on me, this out going temperament is what I like about them.

Day time body temperature of 84f is the temperature that most of my dragons seem to prefer, if given the choice this is where they choose to be at, I feel this temp allows proper metabolism witch allows full body function, if your lizards are not moving a lot, especially if they show little to no interest in food, then perhaps you should check your temps. Forget about the misconception of these lizards being from cool mountain forests, its 97f and cloudy today anywhere in south Vietnam.
rgds

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Active lizards... - Spawn, Thu Apr 5 21:56:30 2007