return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

HELP!!!! How to make meatballs not disin

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tegus ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: replover at Mon Apr 9 03:54:02 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by replover ]  

My tegu as you know won't eat fruit. After the whole fish hook scare, I am not doing the injecting thing anymore. I took your advice and bought a food processor. I got some chicken and a little beef, made a minced meat.

Then, I made another minced meat with chicken, papaya, squash, greens, vitamin, mineral, calcium powder and added vitamin C, and I made meatballs. I was half expecting him not to eat it, because everything I tried before don't really work (except injecting the fruit into fish).

I put it in and he ate! He has thus far been eating chucks of stuff his whole life, chunks of meat, and chunks of fruit offered (not eaten), mice, etc. He would pick up a mouse, pull it away, gulp the whole thing down, go back, pick up a chunk of chicken, go dray it away, gulp the whole thing down etc. I could see he was surprised when he bit into a meatball and it ripped off a little piece. I saw him as he continued to eat, trying his damdest to balance his bites and keep the meatballs in one piece and just swallow and gulp them whole as he usually does, but they broke apart, and a lot of the fruit just fell out, and he ended up eating a lot of the surface parts. Sticking to the substrate making a mess.

I then tried squeezing the meatballs into a huge meatloaf and he ignored it.

All in all, its a victory. I got him to eat this preparation, or at least try. But the thing is, to get the fruit in him, I need to make the meatballs NOT disintegrate like that!!!!! Then he can get the fruit in him more!

I noticed that the chicken/beef puree sticked pretty solid, but when mixed with fruit, it just was kinda watery....

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO MAKE THE MEATBALLS STICK TOGETHER MORE SOMETIME BEFORE TOMMOROW'S FEEDING! I AM PSYCHIED!!!!!

And how to stop it from sticking to the substrate? I'll try getting a bigger plate but I am again half expecting him to only want to eat from his usual dish. The dish is big enough but he likes to grab a fish, walk away dragging it along, then eat it, come back etc...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I WANNA DO THIS AND MAKE HIM EAT THE DARN FRUIT!!!!!

Can I add some flour or corn starch or something? I don't know what can make the meatballs stick together...

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: HELP!!!! How to make meatballs not disin - crimsonwolf1313, Mon Apr 9 18:35:09 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: HELP!!!! How to make meatballs not disin - cee4, Thu Apr 12 08:09:35 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: HELP!!!! How to make meatballs not disin - safaritom, Thu Apr 26 15:00:02 2007