return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Jeff… Incubating in the dark…

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain/Tree Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Spawn at Thu Apr 12 22:14:55 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Spawn ]  

Hello Jobi, Hi Jeff:
I have to also tell you I have no problems understanding your posts. Your english is very good.
Second...to add a little about the light and dark controversy over hatching eggs. In the wild the eggs may just be placed in an inch or two of leaf detritus deposited in a depression in a branch. Not all eggs, just some. There is no reason why offering eggs a light and dark cycle would be beneficial to embryos incubated under artificial conditions. Many of their relative embryos are exposed to the same parameters in the natural habitat. A couple inches of leaf detritus sure won't stop the effect the sun (even when filtered through the branches of the trees) would have on eggs laid this way. The embryos might undergo periods of high activity which would make them stronger candidates for hatching. Try closing your eyes in sunlight. You can still "see" the brightness. At night the reverse is true. I agree that it could also affect color though maybe to a minor degree. Though these animals have been terrarium subjects for years there is still much to be learned about them. That's why forums like this are important.
There is another school of thought though that shouldn't be ignored. Under completely contolled dark conditions the eggs are safe from changing parameters. "Exposed" in a more fluctuating environment the eggs have to be monitored closely for moisture. Most people play it safe and go the incubator route. I like my eggs to "see more." I also think that many people feel the eggs are safer in the dark. I think this is a holdover from breeding tropical fish because there are species such as the Buffalo Head Cichlid (Streatocranus cassuarius)who breed in caves because their eggs are very sensitive to the light.
Anyway, that's my take for what it's worth.
You guys have a Great Day!!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Jeff… Incubating in the dark… - 5Ancestors, Thu Apr 12 16:08:54 2007