return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: No doubt you're right that...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Asian & European Ratsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ratsnakehaven at Fri May 4 08:45:40 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ratsnakehaven ]  

Hey, guys. Sorry for the late arrival, but it's been so hectic here lately, I haven't had time to log on.

I've seen or heard half doz. frog species, couple turtle sps, Eastern garters, northern water sns, brown sn, and a n. ringneck, so far, in n. MI. The weather is getting better, as it's in the 60's already this morning. Looking for my first sm. green sn. of the year.

As far as Burbrink and the taxonomy goes, here's my thoughts in brief. I think the various Pituophis species are closely related to the ratsnakes, esp. Pantherophis/Elaphe. I don't think Pantherophis sps should be included in Pituophis at this time, however. ASAMOF, I'm not even sure how closely related all the Pituophis sps are to each other. Regardless of the molecular evidence, it seems to me that Pantherophis sps are easily separated from Pituophis sps, which should be enough to put them in a different genus. I do think we should start thinking of the various Pituophis sps as ratsnakes, however.

It should be interesting to see how the scientific community takes these new proposals. Maybe CNAH will accept them right away. Time will tell.

More later...Terry

>>How're your herp activites going this spring? We finally had some decent weather here. The frogs are calling outside my house and the garters are finally showing up.
>>
>>Regards
>>John
>>
>>
>>>>Two steps forward and one step back seems to be a good analogy.....the day I get a time-machine, I'll know for sure I'm sure the interpretation of molecular data will become more of a true science in time, but for now, it seems that a lot of the data can be used any way you wish......without complete data......chimerism.
>>>>
>>>>I suppose it's easy to make fun of researchers who throw natural history to the side, when it isn't agreeable with a molecular barcode, but hey, something has to be published, in a timely manner, otherwise the cv would suffer........shrug
>>>>
>>>>Shane
>>>>-----
>>>>Lifelist

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  No doubt you're right that... - jfirneno, Thu Apr 26 18:00:29 2007