return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Everyone join in

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sulcata & Spurred Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Melgrj7 at Fri Apr 27 23:29:23 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Melgrj7 ]  

:::::1. I have a "typical" suburban house (at least here in texas). A 6 foot wood fence flush with the ground. About 3000 sqft of backyard with st. augustine grass as well as some bermuda and zorsia (sp?). A dog door goes into the garage. We have only 1-2 days a year of freezing weather. What do you think about keeping a larger female outside? Will they dig under this fence if they are given almost 3000sqft? I have seen pics of ENORMOUS burrows dug by them. Should I worry they are going to dig under the house? :::::

If you give lots of houses that can stop the digging behaviour. Also, if it does want to dig create a hill in the center and they will tend to dig into the hill, rather than under your house. I would bury something along the fence line as a precaution personally. You should also provide a heated house as they will also burrow if to cold. If it has a warm place to go, or where you can lock it up if it is to cold, that would possibly eliminate that reason to dig.

::2. I assume they can live without dying of fright from dogs (as long as the dogs are not attacking them)? ::

Best to keep dogs seperate if possible. If its not possible just watch when they are together as dogs can chew shells. Also, always pick up the dog poop right away as some dewormers and stuff that dogs are given are dangerous to tortoises and can be in the feces.

:::3. I'm ready to supplement the diet...will they freely eat these grasses? (heck, maybe I can get rid of my lawn mower). ::

You could try also planting different grasses, and other foods. Encourage weeds to grow. Get a plant guide . . . ratz has a good one I can't remember the name. If you are worried about calcium, leave out a calcium block, the tortoise will eat it if needed.

Good reading:
http://www.sulcata-station.org/

has a good list of plants and grasses you could grow:
http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Mistypardaliscare.htm

(leopard tortoise care and sulcata care are very similar, diets are pretty much identical).

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Everyone join in - PHRatz, Sat Apr 28 10:19:52 2007

<< Previous Message:  Everyone join in - sprintermike, Thu Apr 26 21:51:49 2007