return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Hi guys

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Frilled Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Ash33 at Tue May 8 04:42:14 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Ash33 ]  

Hi there everyone I'm new here.. this is my first post. My names Ashley and I live in Texas ... hope everyone on here is doin well.

I work at Petsmart here.. I work with the fish and reptiles and what not. And well I ended up adopting a frilled dragon. I read up on it ALOT before I got him. I just have a few questions to clear some stuff up if you guys dont mind replying

Well here is his story.

This was the first time we ever had a frilled dragon at work so I dont trust what the other people who work there with me to give me the most accurate info.

Well not long after he arrived.. SOMEHOW his tail was broken and fell off. I didnt even know we had him because I was off those couple of days. Well when one of our animals is sick we put them in the isolation room and treat them. Well he was back there almost 2 months.. with nothing but a water dish, a log, and a heat pad. (yeah i know thats horrible.... I talked to my manager and she is tryin to convince the people above her to let her pull some lamps off the shelf.

Well I felt horrible for him and I reasearch and brought him home His name is Pierre.

Well about 5 days after I got him.. I took him to a vet to get a checkup and make sure I was doing things right. Out of all the vets in my area.. only one of them knew what he was and had seen one a LONG time ago.. so I took him there.

Well the vet said that he had a respiratory infection and gave him a shot and some Baytril to take once a day. Well when he gave it to me he said giving it to him for 5 days should be ok but it could take up to 14 weeks for him to get better.

Well I'm not TO expierenced in reptiles so I dont know what normal breathing looks like. So after 14 days he was still breathing the same.. but it looked ok to me. Well I was goin to continue to give him the meds until they were gone but someone said to much is bad for him so I stopped.

He's eating just fine.. and drinking from his bowl. He goes through between 15-30 crickets a day. 3 days a week he gets them dusted with calcium and vitamins. He has a basking and UV light. Right now he's in a 10gal tank becuse he's so small but i'm upgrading it to a 20long this week, and eventually he will have a 55 gal and an outdoor enclosure. He also gets misted once a day. He has grown some as well. He was on repti-bark but I took it out and put paper towels down in case that would be harmful for him to inhale.

So my questions are...

Does his diet sound like I'm doing it acuratly?
Are those cages an appropriate size?
How long will it take him to grow up?
If he's eating ok and acting ok... should I still worry about his respiratory problems seeing as how I think he's breathing the same but dont know much about reptiles breathing?
Do you think after 14 days its safe to say he's better?
Should I take him for a re-check at the vet?
Does anyone know of any good vets in San Antonio, who are expierenced with this species?

Thanks for you time sorry for the long post Thanks!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Hi guys - mizzy, Tue May 8 16:52:03 2007