return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Hello everyone....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Photography Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: WK at Sat Jun 9 10:20:08 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by WK ]  

Hello. You should have a look at a good article series about close-up / macro photography linked here. The information there will answer many of the questions you asked.

Most people interested in herp photography want to take close-ups instead of true "macro" photos. Macro, in the truest sense of the word, means photographing at life-size or greater than life-size magnification. At this level, nearly the whole photo is filled with something the size of an eye or a few scales. For general herp close-ups, a macro lens in the 50mm to 105mm range should do the job. If you want to take close-ups of skittish or venomous animals, I recommend a longer focal length macro such as a 180mm or 200mm. I use a 105mm and 180mm. True macro lenses will photograph at life size or "1:1", meaning the space a photographic subject occupies on the digital sensor or film equals the actual size of the subject (for example, a 2 mm scale takes up 2mm of the sensor / film). If you want to get larger than life size, you will have to get additional equipment because you have a Nikon system. Canon makes a lens that goes 5x life unaided.

Anyhow, read the pages linked above. It's a good place to start. Below are some photos showing close-up and true macro herp shots.

Regards,
WK

Macro (twice life size) of grey treefrog eye. Nikon D70, 50mm lens reversed and stacked on a 105mm macro).

Close-up of a female broad-headed skink. I used a 180mm macro to get close enough for this uncropped shot. If I had used my 105mm, the lizard would have scurried off before I could get close enough to produce an image like this.

Close-up of an eastern diamondback. Once again, this is with the 180mm lens. A 105mm would probably have put me at risk for a bite to the hand if I had to get in range to produce this same image with it. This photo is also an example of using a wide aperture to blur the background. Doing this really makes the eye stand out from the busy body pattern behind the snake.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Not sure why link is not working - WK, Sat Jun 9 10:27:02 2007
>> Next Message:  Excellent post! - Matt Harris, Tue Aug 21 10:18:41 2007

<< Previous Message:  Hello everyone.... - sdi, Thu Jun 7 15:42:34 2007