return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: question on water

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Slaytonp at Thu Jun 14 20:48:17 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Slaytonp ]  

Consider the tan coloration "good," as this is mostly leached tannins from your cork and substrate. I deliberately add "black water extract to my paludariums and tad pole water. It helps prevent bacterial skin diseases.

As for the film you are seeing, it will appear if the water is not circulating well. You could try adding a bubbler under the gravel and it will dissipate. I have actually just done this in my new 180 paludarium which has the water and plants in it now, but the canister filter is awaiting a part before I can begin to circulate it. The entire top was scummy even after a few water changes, but the air bubbler wand just putting up some bubbles from under the gravel has solved the problem.

As for the heat--that's a major problem with nearly everyone who doesn't have AC to keep the room temperatures below 80. It's one of my own major concerns, and other than temporary fixes in extra hot weather, such as ice in the waterways, fans over damp towels on the top, turning off all the lights, etc., I haven't found an easy answer yet.

One of the things I've tried in the past, which works only so-so is a Tropic-Aire humidifier with ice in the water. This is a simple system run by an aquarium air pump, but it doesn't put out a lot of air over-all, but perhaps enough to make just enough difference for the frogs to be useful. Take the end-cap off the wand that fits in the tank for faster air flow. You can build one yourself with a large plastic bottle and a rubber stopper pierced in two places. (Laboratory supply houses carry these, but it's probably cheaper to just buy the Tropic Air from PetCo. (About $15.00.)
-----
Patty
Pahsimeroi, Idaho

D. auratus blue, auratus Ancon Hill, galactonotus orange, galactonotus yellow, fantasticus, reticulatus, imitator, castaneoticus, azureus, pumilio Bastimentos. P. lugubris, vittatus, terribilis mint green, terribilis orange.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: question on water - hedder062474, Fri Jun 15 11:38:56 2007

<< Previous Message:  question on water - hedder062474, Thu Jun 14 20:15:25 2007