return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: question on water

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Slaytonp at Fri Jun 15 18:58:58 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Slaytonp ]  

Yes, you really do need to build the false bottom like an inverted box so the frogs can't get under it and drown.

Re: Filtering. Do you have a circulating stream, drip wall or waterfall from the false bottom? If so, running it over some Java moss makes a great living filter. Otherwise, you will probably be wise to do occasional partial water changes by simply siphoning out about half of the water and replacing it occasionally. How deep is the water? I always try to make the pump easily accessible, perhaps just hidden with some smooth rocks that can be removed easily, because they can get clogged up fairly regularly. Boxing the pump in with some fine mesh might help. I don't worry too much about dirt falling in a water feature with aquatic plants in it. You could maybe try some Ricca if you can find it, or there's a small 4 leaf clover type plant that's really cool. I'll try to get back to you about where this is available and what its scientific name is.

I'd put the bubble wand where it is accessible in the pool area and just cover it with more gravel. The wands do last quite a long time, but eventually need replacing. There is one type that is sort of like a flexible soaker hose, with weights on it. I have one of these in my 180, left over from when the 180 was a fish tank, and it has lasted for years.

Ice in the misting reservoir would help on hot days. I've never resorted to the computer fans, although some people do use them for more ventilation. It seems to me that blowing the same temperature air into the tank wouldn't improve things much.

If your well water has been tested for drinking and is O.K., it will be fine for the tank. You might check for hardness and pH, but in the long run, this doesn't matter much with your frogs. I have very hard water from my otherwise great well, and the only problem with it is that it leaves deposits when it splashes, and also tends to crud up the pumps over time so I have to soak them in straight vinegar once in a while, as well as wipe the deposits off the glass with vinegar and paper towels. You can buy a test kit at a pet store, or just guess. If the faucets in your new house don't have lime deposits on them, you're probably home free. If your area has a lot of oak, dogwood, Madrone, redwood, etc., the water is probably soft and neutral, or possibly very slightly acidic. Icy cold well water is also a good sign. Perfect!
-----
Patty
Pahsimeroi, Idaho

D. auratus blue, auratus Ancon Hill, galactonotus orange, galactonotus yellow, fantasticus, reticulatus, imitator, castaneoticus, azureus, pumilio Bastimentos. P. lugubris, vittatus, terribilis mint green, terribilis orange.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: question on water - hedder062474, Fri Jun 15 19:42:59 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: question on water - hedder062474, Fri Jun 15 11:38:56 2007