return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: question on water

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: hedder062474 at Fri Jun 15 19:42:59 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by hedder062474 ]  

I should be able to fix the hole without too much of a problem I hope. I have the false bottom sitting on top of the pvc pipe but instead of using egg crate for the box off part I bought a decorative border from the pet store they use for turtles to make a dry area. That sits in front of the egg crate...the problem was it was too long so I cut it with my jigsaw and trimmed it a little to short so that is how the gap happened. I will fix that when I move before I add frogs.
I built the waterfall myself out of appoxie its a product that is safe to use for fish ornaments. I made it so the pump sits right underneath it in the water pool. The only circulation in the water is the water pump I use for the water fall. To get to the water pump all I have to do is lift up the waterfall. I find that when the water flow slows down all I have to do is unplugg the pump and plug it back in and the water starts to flow normally.
I siphon off the water ever 4-5 days. It starts getting high and I don't want the water to saturate the land. I end up taking about 1 and a half gallons out of it at a time. I think it leaves half an inch to an inch of water in the bottom of the tank for the water pump and fall to function. I don't add any water to it after that. The water from the misting system seems to fill it back up in 4-5 days. I think it might be two inches deep. The only way I could make the water deeper would be to make the false bottom sit higher. Other wise the water level will hit the false bottom and the dirt the plants are in. I only have two water plants in the water section they are growing but the bottom of the plants are the only part that is in the water. I also have some lucky bamboo growing in the water section (I forgot about them) There is one that I stuck in back of the waterfall and the other two are in the front on the side of the tank also next to the waterfall. Is that enough plants for the water to be kept filtered? The plant you are talking about to naturally filter and flow the water over on the waterfall sounds great. Right now the waterfall is getting alge growth on it. Is alge a problem? It looks a little bad but I can live with it as long as its a good thing not a bad one.
I will ditch cutting the glass and adding a fan. You are probably right about that not being much of a help, I was worried about the frogs getting caught in it anyway.
The plants are growing great and all of the broms have pups on them. Or at least I think that is what they are, they look like miniture plants of the parent. I am very excited about this as the tank has only been up and running about two maybe three months tops. And all three have them.
I will be on the look out for the plants you where talking about for the filtration. I will also see about getting and using the bubble wand. Thank you for the great advice and tips . Hopefully by the end of July or mid August I will have my frogs ordered and in there new home.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: question on water - Slaytonp, Sat Jun 16 21:40:45 2007

<< Previous Message:  RE: question on water - Slaytonp, Fri Jun 15 18:58:58 2007