return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: spotted hibernation

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Spotted, Bog & Wood Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Odyssey at Mon Aug 6 20:56:39 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Odyssey ]  

I hibernate mine in one of those 175-gallon black plastic tanks that you can get from a farm-supply store (it is where they live during the year, too). I use a pond-sized filter/pump in the bottom and leave them out in the backyard (I live in western New York). I also have a 30-watt submerged aquarium heater in there (but I leave it off at the start), and a regular aquarium air pump with an air stone on the end of a length of SILICONE tubing (that's important). The pond pump stays on all the time and generates enough heat that, even though the water stays very cold (down in the 30’s), it almost never freezes completely over. If it gets cold enough to completely cover the surface of the water with ice, I manually turn on the aquarium heater (turned down to its lowest setting) until the ice on top thaws out a little. When it has been on long enough (a few hours, or a day, or a few days... depending on how cold it is outside), I turn it off until I need it again. The air pump stays on all the time because a hibernating turtle breathes under water through its cloaca and the water has to have plenty of oxygen in it. The air stone has to be on SILICONE tubing (sort of a blue-green in color and a little hard to find) because it is the only common plastic tubing that will stay flexible in cold weather. The more common vinyl tubing (clear colorless) gets very stiff and hard to handle in the cold. Also, keep the heater always under water and away from the sleeping turtles. Even submerged, it gets very hot when it's on for hours at a time and could burn them. And make sure that it doesn't get frozen into the ice, which could crack it. The bottom of the tank I let get covered with a few inches of leaves as they fall into the tank in autumn. The turtles will bury themselves as much as they want to. I have used this setup to hibernate my turtles outside for years now, and it has always worked well.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  spotted hibernation - tsmik2, Fri Jun 15 16:08:47 2007