return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Grouping & Mixing Species Question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dart & Mantella Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: frogger at Mon Jun 18 00:03:22 2007  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by frogger ]  

Hey everyone,

Well this is the first time I have been on this section of the forum, I am normally on the Tree Frog one. I have finally decided to go from tree frogs only, to dart frogs as well.

The tank I am currently building is a 90 gallon with automated water circulation, misting, fogging, and air circulation. I wanted to have a good number of darts to occupy the sizable space and had some in mind when I started.

Now, I didn't realize until recently that the D. azureus were territorial. I have read many places not to keep more than 2 together or they will cause stress and lead to a death of a frog. So my questions will be this to help me decide on the frogs that will occupy the tanks:

1. Is it possible to have more than 2 D. azureus in a 90 gallon tank? I am asking of personal experience on the question, not what you read someone else write.

2. If it is not possible to have more than 2 D. azureus, would adding another species like D. auratus or D. leucomelas be acceptable. I have read on reputable sites that this could work.

3. If neither of those two options is possible in a 90 gallon tanks. What about mixing just the different D. auratus (green and blue). I understand many people don't want the interbreeding to occur and produce morphs. But I am not going to be selling the darts, I don't think it will distrubt anything if they are confined to that tank.

4. If mixing the same species doesn't work, will mixing one type of D. auratus with D. leucomelas work?

And finally

5. If getting only one species is the only way to go, how many would fit in a 90 gallon tank?

Thanks guys, I would prefer not to kill any frogs due to stress, but I have read several varying views about how to do it so I thought I would ask some opinions personally to see what yall thank.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Grouping & Mixing Species Question - Slaytonp, Mon Jun 18 11:56:53 2007
>> Next Message:  RE: Grouping & Mixing Species Question - Grassypeak, Mon Jun 18 12:59:04 2007